Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The Whyforall

In the words of Henry David Thoreau in his famous treatise, "Civil Disobedience," "I HEARTILY ACCEPT the motto, — 'That government is best which governs least';  and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically." This blog was created due to a dream - the typical middle class dream of a house in the suburbs, a family, and a job. When I was little, playing with my paper dolls since I didn't have Barbies, I used to give the Theodore Roosevelt paper doll (they were the historic type) the caramel horse to ride on, and he led the family of American Girl paper dolls over the couch to the kitchen where they resided under the table. I mean that everyone and everything in my life lived in that fantasy of wellness and prosperity.

Those were the 80's. Things have changed. We hear expressions of doom and gloom such as fiscal cliff, recession, housing bubble, and War on Terror. TR was the one who said, "Speak softly, but carry a big stick." What would he say to the current situation in which we find ourselves?

In addition, my childhood world included an idealistic perspective of my country - one in which all people in charge worked for the good of others and the good ol' U. S. of A. served as an ethical yardstick for other less informed nations.

As a writer, I prefer the position of recorder of reality. I do not know if it is possible to stray from the path of what already exists in one's writing, but I doubt it. I'm not convinced an objective truth exists, and for that reason, I can only express what I have seen and experienced. However, I am interested in dialogue. As a proud American - a concept I will thoroughly explore - I have created this blog so as to write a letter to the land I hold dear and fear to lose.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment